BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Friday, May 24, 2019

Never Surprised

..for the Lord is a God who knows.” (I Samuel 2:3)
“God isn’t surprised by this!” Anyone that knows me has heard me say this on more than one occasion. Whether a firm conviction or a declaration that God has this difficult situation in his hand, it is a reminder to myself that since God is a God who knows, he is never surprised, not even in whatever circumstance I currently face.

I noticed this verse for the first time shortly after my son was born. He was our ‘Rainbow Child’, a child born after a stillbirth or miscarriage, and we were thankful for this gift from the Lord. I had just chosen his life verse which is found earlier in the book, “I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD…”(1 Samuel 1:27,28), and then I saw this verse.

I knew at that moment that God knew, he had seen all the tears from my earlier miscarriage and he was not surprised by my heartache. In the same way, he knew that we would have the gift of our son, and in subsequent years, two daughters would also be added to our family.

Decades have passed but the truth of this verse hasn’t changed. God is still the God who knows and he was not surprised by the news we received this week of the sudden death of a friend or the brain tumour diagnosis of a co-worker. Because of that truth I can also know that God will give grace and strength to our friend’s widow and the family of our co-worker. My fears that threaten to overwhelm me are instead replaced by faith in my heavenly father who can do all things.

-->
How about you? Do you need to remind yourself today that God is not surprised?
 
Dear Heavenly Father,
Even on the days that I am overwhelmed with the challenges that I am facing, thank you that you are never surprised by any of them. You are truly the God who knows and as a result I can trust that you are not only with me on the journey, but you will also give me the grace and strength to make it through. Help me to trust you with that today.  Amen.


Application:
What situation do you find yourself in today in which you need to be reminded that God knows all about it and isn’t surprised by it? Take some time right now to thank God that not only does he know all about it, but also that he is right there beside you walking through it together with you.


No comments: