BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Saturday, July 06, 2019

Not Why? but What Now?



 “But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant…it was not you who sent me here, but God.”(Genesis 45:7,8)

As we studied the life of Joseph in our sermon series this spring, I was reminded over and over again that even though bad things kept happening to him, he always seemed to make the best of the situation and land back on his feet. As we wrapped up the series, these verses in Genesis 45 struck me in a brand new way.

Joseph could have harboured unforgiveness and been angry with his brothers for selling him into slavery and for all the bad things that happened to him as a result. Instead, whether as a servant in Potiphar’s house, a prisoner in jail, or second-in-command to Pharaoh, he asked God ‘What now Lord, what would you have me do in this situation?. He was obedient to share what God showed him even when it was bad news for the listener and he worked hard to be the best he could be regardless of the circumstances in which he found himself.

Joseph had every reason to become bitter and resentful, wondering why God had forsaken him or even if God had in fact forgotten all about him. But at the end of his life, he was very clear with his brothers. God was the one that had sent him to Egypt to preserve a remnant of the Israelites that would survive the famine throughout the land. God was at work through all of Joseph’s story. In the same way, God is at work in my life today even when I cannot see his hand.


Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you that you are always at work, even when I cannot see it and find it hard to believe. Help me to trust in your sovereignty today, knowing that you are truly good and that you are at work right now in this situation. Show me what you want me to be doing now. Amen.

2 comments:

Janet said...

So true! We need to be reminded of this and think on these things. Thanks for saying this so well. I will be sharing this with others.

Beck's Bulletin said...

Thanks Janet! Glad you enjoyed it! I think this message is something we all need to be reminded of often it seems!