BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Want What You Have



“But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.”(1 Timothy 6:6,7)

Early on during the covid pandemic lockdown, I noticed two different kinds of people emerge. There were those who were bitter, angry and grumpy about all the things that they could not do or could not have. But then there was a second group who somehow seemed to thrive even though their lives had also been dramatically affected by the changes in our lives.

As I observed people’s responses, I wondered what made the difference when during a zoom call, a friend shared that she was learning to want what she had. That phrase struck me. She was content to stay at home and let others provide for her even though it meant that she was unable to go out and see her friends or do the things that she loved to do with others.

As I reflected on these verses today, that phrase came back to me once again. Am I so focused on what I don’t have that I am missing out on all that I already have? What would my life look like if I learned to actually want what I have?

How about you? Have you like Paul learned to be content in whatever circumstances you are? (Philippians 4:11) Can you honestly say that you want what you have? Which of the two groups of people that I mentioned do you belong to?

Not sure how to get started? Contentment grows out of a thankful heart. Begin to cultivate that in your life today.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your amazing faithfulness and goodness that you show to me in so many different ways every single day. Help me to in fact want the things I already have so that I might learn to be content in every way. Amen

1 comment:

Anneliese said...

Giving thanks is the key to contentment! When we begin to give thanks, we realize how much we have!