BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Thursday, January 07, 2021

Take Courage

 


“when they saw him walking on the sea, they … were terrified. But immediately he spoke with them and said to them, “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid.” Then he got into the boat with them, and the wind stopped and they were utterly astonished.” (Mark 6:49-51)

Several years ago I was challenged to pick a word or thought as my word for the New Year. One year I chose ‘joy’ and another, the word ‘amazed’. As I thought about this for 2021, this familiar passage came to mind.

 

I was reminded of how similar I have been to the disciples in this account. In the midst of this storm called Covid-19, it is easy for me to be overwhelmed as the disciples were, even terrified at times! But Jesus’ words to me remain the same, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

 

Moving into 2021, Jesus is reminding me that he is here in the midst of everything I am going through, the challenges, the isolation, the longing to have the storm subside. His desire is to climb into my boat and calm my fears with the simple reminder that he is the one that is still in control, who by his very presence stopped the wind and calmed the seas.

 

What is God asking you to trust him for this year? What is it that threatens to capsize your boat? Are there areas where he is telling you to take courage? Remember that as he gets into your boat, he wants to replace your fears with peace and you will be astonished. He’s got this. Trust him.

 

Dear Lord Jesus,

Thank for the reminder today that as I start this new year which is still fraught with uncertainty, I just need to keep my eyes on you and take courage. You want to get into my boat and calm my heart in the midst of this storm called Covid-19. Amen.

 

Throughout this Day:

 

What terrifies you today? Remind yourself often that Jesus is walking with you and wants to climb into your boat and calm your racing heart. Take courage, keep your eyes on him, and be utterly astonished.

 

1 comment:

Anneliese said...

Good word(s) to apply for the New Year! Why am I thinking about the song, Put you hand in the hand of the man who stilled the waters...