BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Just Do What He Says

 


His mother said to the servants, ’Do whatever he tells you.’(John 2:5)

With both my husband and myself working from home, we are privy to each other’s online conversations. I had heard him share this example many times before, but on this particular morning it struck me in a new way.

 

He was sharing the familiar story of Jesus turning the water into wine at the wedding in Cana and he asked the person on the other end of the call, to read the verses out of John 2. Mary was very blunt – “just do whatever he tells you!”

 

I heard my husband ask, “So what do you think the servants thought when they were told to fill the ceremonial water jugs with water?” I didn’t hear the rest of the conversation as my mind reflected on my response to the things that Jesus tells me.

 

The servants must have wondered what in the world Jesus was thinking. They needed wine to serve, not water in jars meant to hold water for their ceremonial cleansing. But Mary had been fervently clear about being obedient to Jesus commands – “Do what he says!”

 

I thought back to when our children were small and we told them that delayed obedience was disobedience. This was usually in response to their promise that they were going to do something we had told them to do, but they just hadn’t done it yet.

 

How often do I hear that still small voice telling me to pick up the phone and call someone, or to drop a gift of flowers off for a friend going through hard times. But then as the day goes on, I get busy, and the task is never done. Or in answer to a prayer I have prayed, I get an answer I wasn’t prepared for, or didn’t like.

 

How about you? Have you been obedient and then later found out how God worked in someone’s life as a result? Or have you struggled to follow through and then wished that you had just done that thing God had impressed upon your heart?

 

Dear Lord Jesus,

Thank you that you still speak to me today. Help me to recognize your voice and then just do what you say. Give me ears to hear and a heart to obey. Amen.

 


1 comment:

Anneliese said...

It's been on my heart to listen more, so that I know what it is He wants me to do. A simple prayer to be used of God, to let Him fulfill His purpose for me, opens my eyes to see, if I'm listening.