BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Thursday, November 04, 2021

You Say

 


“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, 

which God prepared for us to do.  (Ephesians 2:10)

 

‘I am so ugly!’ ‘No one loves me because I am so unloveable.’ ‘I am so fat.’ ‘

Why am I so stupid?’


It’s easy to be overwhelmed with words like these, telling ourselves lies that are 

destructive and tear down our self esteem. But this verse in Ephesians 2 tells 

something different. We are actually God’s handiwork, his piece of art, his creation.


Not only that, in other places in the Bible we are told that we are precious and 

honored in God’s sight and loved by him(Isaiah 43:4). In fact, he delights over us 

with singing (Zephaniah 3:17)!


One of the things that helps me to remember what is true about me is to listen to 

worship music or old hymns. Instead of becoming overwhelmed with the lies, God 

uses the words of the songs to speak truth to my heart and mind.


One such song is ‘You Say’ by Lauren Daigle. In it she contrasts what God says 

about me with what I say about myself. The chorus of the song reminds me:

 ‘You say I am loved, when I can’t feel a thing

You say I am strong when I think I am weak

And you say I am held when I am falling short

And when I don’t belong, oh you say I am yours’


Are you mired in the lies that you tell yourself? Are you overwhelmed with those 

thoughts that pull you down? Have you forgotten what God says about you? 

He wants you to believe the truth that he tells you about yourself so that you can 

know that not only are you are loved by him, but you belong to him. You are his 

work of art!


Dear Lord Jesus,

Thank you that what you say about me is the truest thing about myself. Thank 

you that I am loved by you and that you give me strength even when I am weak.  

Help me not to believe the lies that I too often believe, but instead remember 

what you say about me. Fill my mind with those thoughts today. Amen.


Throughout this Day:

Listen to this song, You Say, by Lauren Daigle and listen to the words as she 

sings. Take time to thank God today for the things that he says are true about 

you – you are loved, you are strong, you belong to him, you are his handiwork, 

created and loved by him.

5 comments:

Ana said...

Hello Doris,
Is there any way to contact you via email? I need spiritual answers, I am depressed and cannot work it all out. If not, that's okay, too.

Beck's Bulletin said...

Hi Ana,
I would love to connect with you via email. All of my devotionals are also published on another site and I do online mentoring with individuals from there. Just go to https://thelife.com/devotionals/you-say and at the bottom there is a mentoring form where you can just type in...Doris Beck, I would like to talk to you....and ask to be assigned to me...it's a secure site and a safe place for us to correspond

Beck's Bulletin said...

Hi Ana,
I haven't seen your email come in yet...did you send it? I would love to talk further with you so please do.
Doris

Ana said...

I just filled the form on thelife.com :) Hopefully it will reach you, soon.

Blessings,
Ana

Anneliese said...

Such a great post, Doris! I love that song!