BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Making the Right Choice


18 Yet I will exult in the Lord,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
19 The Lord God is my strength,
And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet,
And makes me walk on my high places. Habakkuk 3:18-19

“You should complain more so people know how much pain you are in.”

That statement by my husband got my attention. I had to think about it. I have made a commitment to choose joy in my life and not focus on the circumstances but was I not being truthful by doing that? Was I giving the wrong impression of what the Christian life looks like? After all we all have disappointments, losses and ongoing pain in our lives that can derail us in our attempt to live and walk in the power of the Holy Spirit.

But then I looked again at these verses that I so often cling too, and read the verse immediately before them:
Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
And there be no cattle in the stalls, (verse 17)

There was not much going right at that time…the crops had failed and there was no food or any hope of food in the foreseeable future. But the response of the writer was still to focus not on the circumstances, but on the Lord of His salvation!! It was God that would be His strength and that’s what he chose as his focus.

As I daily choose to walk in the Spirit and allow Him to develop His fruit in my life, I have a choice to make. Where is my focus? Yes He is supposed to develop joy in my life, but first I have to choose not to focus on the negative and instead turn my eyes to Him. Only then will I see that joy produced to overflowing in my life.

 Heavenly Father, thank you that your Holy Spirit is at work in my life and that he can and does produce his fruit in me. Help me to daily choose to give thanks regardless of the circumstances I am facing, and to make the choice to rejoice in the God of my salvation and depend on Him for my strength. Amen.

Action Step:
Have you been making the right choice and choosing to rejoice in your situation? Or have you been grumbling and complaining, demanding that God change it? Take a moment to confess your sin and once again ask God by His Holy Spirit to fill your life today and help you to choose to rejoice as he produces his joy in you.

1 comment:

Anneliese said...

Choosing joy truly has been what I've seen in your life! I pray that as you are facing more physical pain, you will continue to have hope and that this hope will not disappoint. May God be your healer, giving strength to your bones and a song in your heart.