BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Monday, January 06, 2020

Standing in the Gap




 “I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.” Ezekial 22:30

As I read this verse, I was reminded of the many different challenges that I had heard about standing in the gap for our country. But today it struck in me in a whole new light. How many times had I heard a friend comment on how fearful they were for their grandchildren growing up in these troubled times?

As a grandmother to 9 precious little people, it was as if the Lord was audibly calling me to something in this verse, standing in the gap for the next generation. Oh I had faithfully prayed for my children from before they were born, and I prayed regularly for my grandchildren by name as well. But this was something different, standing in the gap with ardent prayers, scriptural prayers, standing on the promises of God in His Word in a world that is dark and at times overwhelming.

In the days and weeks ahead, specific verses caught my eye and I was reminded to take the time to pray for a specific grandchild or sometimes all of them. I prayed for the faith of Abraham, the heart of David, and the wisdom of Solomon for them.

When David cried out to God to renew the joy of his salvation, I added the name of a grandchild that was struggling with a heavy heart and needed joy. Another grandchild was struggling with self-esteem and I prayed the verses of Psalm 139 that she would understand that she was fearfully and wonderfully made(verse 14) and that it was God who had formed her and made her exactly the way she was.

Have you been overwhelmed by fear of the future or frightened about decisions that are being made by those you love? Instead of being paralyzed by fear, renew your commitment to be that person who will stand in the gap for those that you love, for your children and grandchildren, for others that need someone to pray for them.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the reminder from this familiar verse that I need to be that person who is willing to stand in the gap for those that I love. Show me the verses to pray and the promises to claim for them by name. May I be found faithful dear Lord. Amen.


Application:
Who is God asking you to stand in the gap for today? Take time right now to lift that person(those people) up before the Lord today. Look for specific scripture verses that you can pray for on their behalf.

1 comment:

Anneliese said...

Thank you for wise advice once again. How important that we stand in the gap for future generations. I love the idea of praying scripture, it changes our prayers to more intentional prayers. I need the Holy Spirit to guide me and remind me of those verses that I can apply.