BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Time to Refocus

 


“Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story...”(Psalm 107:1,2a))

 

I was a busy young mother when I heard Pastor Charles Swindoll make this statement almost 40 years ago on his radio program, Insight for Living. Your outlook on life is not determined by your circumstances, but on your focus.” I actually wrote it on the top of my Daily Planner page to think about later because I knew that it was an important concept to remember. Little did I know how it would impact my life!

 

That particular day was a crazy one, complete with broken glasses, chocolate milk spilled in the backseat of a new car, and cake batter sprayed all over my kitchen when I forgot to put the beaters back in the mixer bowl before I turned it on. At the end of the day, I was able to laugh at myself and remembered what I written down earlier, vowing to try to remember it moving forward.

 

Learning to refocus when circumstances threaten to overwhelm me has definitely been a learned response. It’s involves turning away from what is happening around me, and reflecting instead on the God who isn’t surprised, who still holds the whole world in his hands, and whose love endures forever as this verse tells me. It’s choosing to daily give thanks on both the good days when it comes naturally, and on the hard days when I don’t feel like it.

 

Fast forward almost four decades and today I am a grandmother, with aging parents. The circumstances have changed yes, but the concept hasn’t. Almost daily I find myself in that same place of needing to refocus. What is the story that I choose to tell? Do I focus on the challenges of aging parents? Worry about the choices my children and grandchildren are facing? Or do I give thanks to the Lord because he is good, all the time?


I admit it isn’t always easy. But the choice is mine to make and it’s also yours to make today. Regardless of what your circumstances are, choose to focus instead on God. Sometimes I find that music helps me to do that. One song that I have found really helpful in doing this is “Goodness of God” by CeCe Winans. If you too need to refocus today, perhaps start by listening to it and singing along with it.

 

I love You, Lord

For Your mercy never fails me

All my days, I've been held in Your hands

From the moment that I wake up

Until I lay my head

Oh I will sing of the goodness of God

 

'Cause all my life You have been faithful And all my life You have been so, so good With every breath that I am able Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

 

 

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you that you are good and your love endures forever. Help me today to focus on you and give thanks to you instead of being weighed under by the circumstances of my life. Help me to sing for joy and tell my story of the goodness of God. Amen

 

Throughout this Day:

If you need to jumpstart your attempt to refocus today, take some time to listen to Goodness of God by CeCe Winans here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sE5kEnitqE

 

Reflect on the words and thank God for his goodness in your life.

No comments: