BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Cultivating a Quiet Heart

This Devotional was published on Saturday here but I also wanted to share here with all of you.

“I’ve kept my feet on the ground, I’ve cultivated a quiet heart. Like a baby content in its mother’s arms, my soul is a baby content.” Psalm 131:2 (The Message)

As I sat on the shore and watched the waves break upon the rocks I was reminded of Psalm 46: 3 & 10 “…. Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride … Cease striving and know that I am God.” (NASB) In the midst of earthquakes the psalmist is reminded to be still and know his God. But how do I do that? What does that look like in my life?

I’d been asking myself those questions as I meditated on the verse from Psalm 131, trying to figure out how I could cultivate a quiet heart. And then it struck me!

It’s all about resting in God, trusting that He is who He says He is, that He really is in charge and never surprised. It’s about knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt, not just in my head but also in my heart, that He has it all under control and I can rest in His unchanging love. No worries or anxious thoughts will change that. He’s got me covered!

No matter how uncertain my future or how many unanswered questions I am facing, God knows how it will all turn out. So I can rest and be still, totally content, assured that He not only knows the future, but has also promised to give me strength and grace to face that future when the time comes.
In the meantime, I will continue to cultivate that quiet heart and rest in Him.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You that in the midst of uncertain times and questions, You know the answers and I can rest in Your love and choose to leave it in Your hands. Help me to cultivate a quiet heart and trust wholly and completely in You. Amen

What is robbing you of having a quiet heart today? Commit those things to God and refuse to worry as you trust Him. When you are tempted to pick up those issues again, practice Psalm 46:10. Be still and remind yourself of who God is.

No comments: