BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

God With Us




“Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “God with us.” Matthew 1:23

We most often read this verse at Christmas time or when we are reflecting on the names of God, but what about now, at the beginning of a new year? How does the fact that God is with me change how I live my life every day?

I have been thinking about that for several weeks already. As believers we are too often apt to live our lives in a vacuum, forgetting that not only is God always with us, but He is always aware of absolutely everything that we are going through. There are no mistakes, nothing forgotten, nothing missed. In God’s economy, nothing is ever wasted.

If that’s true, then my response needs to change as well. Instead of complaining, grumbling, and wishing things would change, I need to thank Him for His presence, for His grace and for the fact that He is with me in every situation. He is never surprised, and when I am, I just need to remember that! 

A wise person once told me that I need to change the things I can, and leave the rest to God! God is with me, so I can trust that He is at work even when I cannot see it. If I am responding with anger, angst, anxiety -- I need to ask myself that question. What can I change? Is there something that needs action on my part? If not, I need to let go and allow God to work in the situation.

I find myself at the beginning of this year in a brand new place in my life, starting a new role in ministry and learning brand new things. And I'm excited about it because I know that God is here, with me!

Heavenly Father, it’s so easy for me to live each day as if I am doing it alone, and forget that You are always here with me. Help me to allow You to come into my present situation and make a difference today and this year. Amen.



1 comment:

Anneliese said...

I like that, "change the things I can and leave the rest to God."
Thankful with you for your new role in ministry and that you can go into this with joy, knowing God is with you.