BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Passing the Test


“We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts.”(1 Thessalonians 2:4)

Decades after I had graduated from University, I still had dreams about missing an entire course and having to write the final exam not knowing what it was all about.

Where does that come from? Deep within us is a fear of not passing the test! In the midst of the Covid pandemic I definitely feel like I am failing the test! Psalm 139:23 puts it well, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.” 

Even though with my head I believe that God is sovereign and has it all in his hands, my troubled heart causes me to struggle with anxiety that is new to me. My body’s reactions tell me I am failing the test in spite of what I know is true and I have to be reminded of that as I read scripture. Today he stopped me in my tracks as I read this Psalm.

“If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there you hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”(Psalm 139: 9,10) Regardless of what I see in the news, or what I feel, isolated from friends and family, God hasn't changed and he is not wringing his hands. He is still in charge, still in control.

Every day is a test, to see whether or not we trust our Heavenly Father with what the day holds. God is the one who tests our hearts as it says here in 1 Thessalonians. Whether in the midst of a pandemic when we are isolated in our homes, or when our lives begin to return to what we used to call normal, we are still challenged to trust and believe that God really is in control.

Dear Heavenly Father,
“If I rise on the wigs of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there you hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”(Psalm 139: 9,10)….even today in the midst of Covid, you are with me, your right hand will in fact hold me fast Lord. You are in control and I can trust you because I am not walking this journey alone. Amen

2 comments:

Loralyn said...

So appreciate your way with words, Doris - expressing my reality too. My body reveals to me what my mind hasn’t been willing to acknowledge. Last week I had a painful stress-induced allergy. When will I listen, LORD?

Beck's Bulletin said...

Isn't that the truth Loralyn?! My body keeps letting me know when I am not truly trusting in the Lord completely and that I have a way to go! But I'm trying to see that as a positive and not a negative! :-)