BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Seven

Another book that I read while I was in Texas was the book '7' by Jen Hatmaker. 7 is the true story of how Jen and her family took seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence.

Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress. One month spent on each of these areas, boiling it down to 7.  Only eat seven foods, wear seven articles of clothing, spend money in seven places, give away seven things every day. What started out as questionable in my mind turned into an amazing journey and I found myself wondering how I would do if I did the same thing.

If I could only wear seven articles of clothing for a month, what would I choose? Jen ended up getting rid of over half of her wardrobe over the course of the seven months....interesting concept.

If I had to give away or get rid of 7 items a day for a month...oh, wait! I already did that! It was called purging and getting read to move!! But I haven't stopped and continue to find myself wondering if I really need that item of clothing of that household article.

This book challenged me to reconsider what I thought were necessities and how much less we actually need to live comfortably. It is so easy to get sucked into the theory that more is better and that we can never get enough. Instead, the importance of time spent together became very apparent, giving your loved ones undivided attention without checking the iPhone or Facebook ......definitely food for thought and a great read!

1 comment:

Anneliese said...

That sounds like an interesting read. Seven items of clothins? I just did a quick check... I'm wearing six items right now... after my shower it will be six other pieces... how do you do wear the same seven things oven and over? But still.. we do have way too much... I like the idea of less to care for and less clutter to clean ...
I'm reminded of the story where a man, upon finding out that someone was going to buy the land beside his property, went and bought it for himself. A neighbor asked if he thought he needed all the property in the world.. and he said, "No, only the part that touches mine."