BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Those Who Wait...

The fatigue had hit with a vengeance again the day before so even though the morning dawned bright and sunny, the last thing I felt like doing was going for my daily walk. One of the reasons I am so thankful for a walking partner 3 days/week is that it keeps me accountable. But on those days when I have to walk alone, it's up to me.

The words of my doctor, 'you have to exercise 30 minutes/day every day', echoed in my head as I put my shoes and socks on. I plugged my earplugs in and I was off. I had only walked about 5 minutes when in the distance, far overhead, I spied a pair of bald eagles soaring high in the blue sky. As I walked and watched them, the words of Isaiah 40:31 came to mind:

Yet those who wait for the LORD,
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired
They will walk and not become weary. 

To wait means to exchange my weakness for His strength, and as I continued to walk I reflected on what that meant for me. Yes I was weary and unable to accomplish long 'To Do' lists. But I was assured that as I waited God would be renewing my strength.

As I continued to walk the words of the song playing in my ears at that moment. I listen to The Hymns Collection by The Wiebes and the old hymn, Day by Day was playing.
  1. Day by day, and with each passing moment,
    Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
    Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
    I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
    He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
    Gives unto each day what He deems best—
    Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
    Mingling toil with peace and rest.
  2. Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
    With a special mercy for each hour;
    All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
    He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
    The protection of His child and treasure
    Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
    “As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
    This the pledge to me He made.
  3. Help me then in every tribulation
    So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
    That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
    Offered me within Thy holy Word.
    Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
    E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
    One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
    Till I reach the promised land.
    It was like God was speaking to my heart. He would give me strength as I waited on Him. But it wouldn't be strength for months in advance. No, it would be day by day, giving to each day what He deems best......mingling toil with peace and rest. The reminder was just what I needed.
    Yes, I was exactly where God wanted me right now, resting, learning to be still, exercising daily even when I didn't want to be.

    Suddenly I had a burst of energy and I actually ran for a few yards.....a reminder of what it felt like to run and not grow tired.  I walked the rest of the way and came home feeling refreshed, thankful that I had gone for my daily walk, and ready to wait upon the Lord for another day.

No comments: