BECK BULLETIN

We are on a journey, sojourners on this earth. Let us share with you the highs and lows of our lives. Heaven is a sweeter place now that we have two beautiful granddaughters waiting there for us.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Rest?

We were blessed to spend this past weekend  along with 70 others who are involved in the leadership of small groups at our church at RockRidge Canyon . It was a great time of getting to know new people and sharing with one another both in individual and group settings. For me it was my first big outing in months! And I made it through with the help of a long afternoon nap on Saturday!

It was great to be reminded of the importance of prayer, vulnerability and transparency in our lives and small groups and I was once again so thankful for the amazing people that God has placed in the group we attend. They have been there when I walked through the dark night of my soul.
Sunday morning we were encouraged to keep a discipline of silence and go outside to enjoy God and His amazing creation all around us and just listen to him after asking the question, "what is it you want to tell me?" I was excited and looking forward to this...after all we had just had this great ministry weekend!

But I was shocked by the word I heard...REST. REST?!!!! That's what I have been doing for the past 10 months Lord, are you sure? Isn't it time for me to engage, to rev up and get moving and commit to some things? 'Be still and know that I am God' (Psalm 46:10) or as the NASB says it, "Cease striving and know that I am God'.

And then I realized again(I am such a slow learner Lord, forgive me!) that it isn't about just resting so I can go 190 miles/hour again and end up in the same place as I was again. But it's about learning to live a new reality, with balance and margin, with afternoon naps, and time to write, with long periods of silence just listening. Yes, I am back at work halftime but I am so tempted almost daily to push harder, try to do more, and produce, produce, produce.
 
But instead He reminded me that He wants me to rest, to take time to listen to Him and to make time to listen to others, my family and friends. And that's all He wants!!!

Thank you Lord for the reminder to be still and continue to rest in You.

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.(Matthew 11:28 NASB)

No comments: